- There will be twenty (20) Awards available consisting of a fully-funded, week-long educational program for one to Belgium and France to study Canada’s tremendous First World War effort. The itinerary includes museum, cemetery, historic site and battlefield visits. Click here to read the full itinerary.
- The Award includes: air travel to and from Europe for each participant, emergency medical travel insurance, accommodations, meals, museum access and other educational visits, and transportation to and from all scheduled activities.
- Each Award recipient will have five (5) days from the day on which they are contacted by the Vimy Foundation and informed that they have been declared the winner to make their decision to accept participation in the program. Winners must obtain permission from their parent(s)/guardian(s) and prove that they either have valid travel documents or proof of application for the documents within two (2) weeks of being selected (at their cost).
- The program will take place from April 2–10, 2020.
- The Vimy Foundation reserves the right to change or modify the Award location and/or dates due to unforeseen circumstances or otherwise. The Vimy Foundation is not responsible if weather conditions, event cancellations, strikes, lockouts, labour disturbances or other events beyond the Vimy Foundation’s reasonable control limits or restrict access to any of the planned excursions or locations during the program. The Vimy Foundation makes no representations or warranties with respect to the Award.
Terms and Conditions
- Personal expenses are the sole responsibility of the participant. Any meals, beverages, or snacks purchased while in national and international transit and during “free time” shall also be the sole responsibility of the participant. Any lost, misplaced, or stolen items are the participant’s responsibility. Should a participant be expelled from the program or should they choose to leave the program, the cost of their return transportation home will be responsibility of their parent(s)/guardian(s).
- The Award is non-negotiable and non-transferable.
- No change in travel arrangements for the program can be made by participants nor their parent(s)/guardian(s). Participants must be available to depart from their home town at a specified time on April 2 and must return to their home town on April 10. The Vimy Foundation will not accommodate any requests for changes in travel or itinerary.
- If a prize recipient decides to withdraw from the program once payments have been made for their participation (e.g.: flights, lodging, meals, transportation, etc.), parent(s)/guardian(s) must refund the Vimy Foundation for payments already made on their child’s behalf. As such, the credit card information provided will be charged to cover said costs.
Please note: The Vimy Pilgrimage Award (VPA) is first and foremost an intensive educational program which requires full engagement and may pose potential challenges. Applicants should take into consideration that the VPA program itinerary not only includes full days of educational content, but also a great deal of walking in and around cemeteries, historical sites, and museums, including climbing steep, long staircases. The nature of the program’s content can also be a very intense emotional experience for some as the focus is on the First World Wars. Please consider all of the above when applying.
- The Vimy Pilgrimage Award recognizes the actions of young people who demonstrate a commitment to volunteer work through outstanding service, positive contributions, notable deeds, and bravery. Their acts may serve their peers, school, community, province or country.
- Applicants are required to submit a 500 word essay describing their volunteer work; a 500 word essay on a specific question or subject posted in the application form; a personal statement video; a resume detailing their relevant experiences; and a reference letter from a teacher, guidance counselor or principal, service club, volunteer organization, etc. In choosing Award winners, the Award Committee will take into consideration all elements submitted for the application with special emphasis placed on the applicant’s volunteer work/service to their community.
- All selected winners must provide proof of a valid passport for travel or proof that an application for a new passport has been submitted within two (2) weeks of being selected.
- Entries will only be accepted in online form.
- Entry deadline is November 17, 2019, at 11:59pm (Pacific time).
- Applicants must be 14 to 17 years of age for the entire duration of the Awarded program (April 2-10, 2020).
- Odds of winning will be determined by the total number of entries received.
- The twenty (20) winning applicants will be selected by the Awards Committee from all eligible entries received by the Vimy Foundation whose decision is final. The selection of the winning entries will take place no later than January 20, 2020. No responsibility is assumed for delayed, lost, stolen, or misdirected entries. Contest entries are void if incomplete, not legible, or if they contain errors.
- By entering this contest, the applicant agrees that any information submitted to the Vimy Foundation becomes the property of the Vimy Foundation, to publish online or in print at their discretion and, should they win, an applicant’s photo may be posted and/or published.
- Twenty (20) winning entries will be selected. The applicant will be notified via phone, email, or in person. The winner will have five (5) days from receipt of notification to confirm their acceptance of the prize. If the initial winner does not respond within this period or declines the prize, the Awards Committee will select an alternate entry until there is a confirmed winner.
- Once the Award recipient has confirmed their acceptance of the prize, the Vimy Foundation will contact them regarding prize details as outlined in the prize description.
- The Award is open to all Canadian students, except for any individual who is an immediate family member of employees of the Vimy Foundation. Subject to all applicable laws. Void where prohibited.
- For further questions or comments regarding this Award please contact the Vimy Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by telephone at 1.514.904.1007 x 3.